Monday, October 01, 2007

I didn't expect a nihilistic Romanian philosopher

Did anyone else's jaw suddenly discover gravity last night watching Michael Palin's New Europe on BBC1? He was on a train to Bucharest and got chatting with a young man reading a book by EM Cioran. Ex-Cardinal Ximénez read from the blurb. It was On the Heights of Despair (scroll down to find a copy of the book).
I feel that I am dying of solitude, of love, of despair, of hatred, of all that this world offers me. With every experience I expand like a balloon blown up beyond its capacity. The most terrifying intensification bursts into nothingness. You grow inside, you dilate madly until there are no boundaries left, you reach the edge of light, where light is stolen by night, and from that plenitude as in a savage whirlwind you are thrown straight into nothingness.
That or ITV3.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:09 pm

    Nobody expects a nihilistic Romanian philosopher.

    ReplyDelete

Contact

Please email me at steve dot mitchelmore at gmail dot com.

Blog Archive

Contact steve dot mitchelmore at gmail.com. Powered by Blogger.